Day 28: Bokashi Bins, Fresh Meat and Beeswax Wraps

Well it's crazy to think I only have two days left of my challenge! I have loved every part of the challenge and feel so lucky to have learnt so much over the past month. 

On Friday I took a trip to my local landfill where they sell Bokashi Bins! Wohooo. Now I can compost everything in Balclutha rather than taking it to Dunedin. It's such an easy way to get rid of your food waste. In Balclutha food waste is the highest percentage of rubbish sent to the landfill, sadly in the landfill it takes a lot longer to break down and local sea birds ingest some of it along with plastic. I am pretty excited to use a Bokashi bin instead and turn my food waste into organic compost for the garden.

Another exciting purchase for me was fresh meat from the butcher. For the last four weeks I have not purchased meat from the supermarket because it is wrapped in plastic. I finally made it to the local butcher and he put the fresh meat straight into the container (win!). He also told me I could get it wrapped in paper if I didn't have a container. I am looking forward to purchasing my meat from here in the future. 


My last purchase for the day was beeswax wraps (see you later glad wrap). These are awesome alternatives to keep food fresh and to wrap food for lunch. 




This video really inspired me to make a change and move away from using glad wrap. 

Thanks for reading friends! 

Lot's of Aroha, 
Leesa.


Comments