Day 24: Progressing slowly!

Hi friends, sorry for the lack of posts! School reports and life's busyness had captured my attention. My jar has filled with a couple more items that I feel were hard to avoid. I am looking forward to showing you my rubbish after a month in six days time. I will share a couple highlights with you from the past couple of weeks.

Highlight number one! A lovely colleague and I chatted about my cravings for chocolate! The next day she dropped off this cute gift on my desk!!! So thankful for thoughtful and lovely humans.



The cloth it was wrapped in was returned to her so yay for a treat with zero waste.

Second highlight was going away skiing with Year 12. Perks of being a Physical Education Teacher. To avoid buying plastic up on the ski fields I bought my own lunch from home which was homemade bread, peanut butter, homemade bliss balls and fruit. It was pretty cool however to see Cornet Peak using cardboard to sell their food in so it could be composted. 

Last highlight was going to hear Waste Free Sarah speak in Balclutha.  https://www.facebook.com/wastefreesarah/
She was very down to earth and relevant. One thing that I learnt about was composting in the kitchen by using a Bokashi Bucket and to make things even better I can buy them here in Balclutha. 

"Bokashi buckets are a great alternative to large compost bins. They work fast, are small and inexpensive and can be used to compost cooked and uncooked food and including meat, fish and bones."


It was also fantastic to learn about local business around Balclutha that are selling alternatives to plastic. For example beeswax wraps from Kaka Point.

Also a local shop that sells soap, shampoo, conditioner and shaving bars similar to Ethique. 

Over the next few posts I will review some of the products I have used and let you know my thoughts. So far most products have been great and I am going to keep using them once I have finished my 30 day challenge.

Comments