Kia ora friends, colleagues, readers from far and wide,
We have been given a challenge from out principal to complete a 30 day challenge of our choice. It took me a couple of days to think of one, and a couple of days to prepare for my challenge.
I am attempting to dramatically cut down my plastic waste in 30 days, I will collect any waste that is not recyclable or biodegradable etc.
My main hope it that I will learn a heck of a lot about how to be better with what I am purchasing and what I am throwing out. At the moment New Zealand is in a crisis as China say's no to taking our recycling (fair enough). This leaves us with a tonne of rubbish that we have no idea what to do about.
This T.V. clip helped to inform me about the big issues we are having in NZ around single use plastic and our rubbish crisis.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/clips/hooked-on-plastic
To prepare for this challenge I hit the farmers market in Dunedin to buy fresh produce that was not sticker-ed or wrapped in plastic.
One product I found hard to find was spinach - it was wrapped in plastic at the farmers market and at the supermarket - so if anyone has any ideas holler at me (potentially will need to grow some).
I also hit up the supermarket and was overwhelmed with all the plastic wrapped items that I now know can't be recycled and is thrown out by mass all over the world. It was weird being so conscious of it when I had not really thought much about it for the past 25 years.
Other items that I had not given much thought about and am ditching for 30 days include make up, hair products, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, tooth paste, sanitary items and deodorant.
I am replacing these items with a range of Eco friendly products.
For example making tooth paste - recipe below and picture of product.
I am also trialing an amazing product called Ethique to ditch my shampoo, conditioner and face wash bottles. It smells amazing!!! I bought my products from the Roslyn Pharmacy or check out their website here https://ethiquebeauty.com/
First day of the challenge I ate fresh bread with pic peanut butter for breakfast and a snack at school. I ate lots of fresh fruit and made roast vegetables for dinner.
I sadly obtained my first piece of personal plastic which was a plastic seal on the peanut butter jar.
At the end of my challenge I will post the rubbish that I collect and fingers crossed it's much less than usual.
I will try post each day about how my challenge is going and about the alternatives I am trying.
Thanks for reading team about my attempt to Keep It Green! :)
We have been given a challenge from out principal to complete a 30 day challenge of our choice. It took me a couple of days to think of one, and a couple of days to prepare for my challenge.
I am attempting to dramatically cut down my plastic waste in 30 days, I will collect any waste that is not recyclable or biodegradable etc.
My main hope it that I will learn a heck of a lot about how to be better with what I am purchasing and what I am throwing out. At the moment New Zealand is in a crisis as China say's no to taking our recycling (fair enough). This leaves us with a tonne of rubbish that we have no idea what to do about.
This T.V. clip helped to inform me about the big issues we are having in NZ around single use plastic and our rubbish crisis.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/clips/hooked-on-plastic
To prepare for this challenge I hit the farmers market in Dunedin to buy fresh produce that was not sticker-ed or wrapped in plastic.
One product I found hard to find was spinach - it was wrapped in plastic at the farmers market and at the supermarket - so if anyone has any ideas holler at me (potentially will need to grow some).
I also hit up the supermarket and was overwhelmed with all the plastic wrapped items that I now know can't be recycled and is thrown out by mass all over the world. It was weird being so conscious of it when I had not really thought much about it for the past 25 years.
Other items that I had not given much thought about and am ditching for 30 days include make up, hair products, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, tooth paste, sanitary items and deodorant.
I am replacing these items with a range of Eco friendly products.
For example making tooth paste - recipe below and picture of product.
First day of the challenge I ate fresh bread with pic peanut butter for breakfast and a snack at school. I ate lots of fresh fruit and made roast vegetables for dinner.
I sadly obtained my first piece of personal plastic which was a plastic seal on the peanut butter jar.
At the end of my challenge I will post the rubbish that I collect and fingers crossed it's much less than usual.
I will try post each day about how my challenge is going and about the alternatives I am trying.
Thanks for reading team about my attempt to Keep It Green! :)




Comments
Post a Comment